Thursday, August 6, 2009

IT'S A BOY!

Like Abraham and Sarah we welcomed our new arrival on Tuesday of this week. None of the neighbors knew about this. If so, they probably would have erected one of those quirky wooden storks in our front yard like the astronauts who planted the American flag on the surface of the moon back in 69. This whole business caught us a bit by surprise. It only dates back to Pentecost Sunday of this year. My wife had done an excellent job keeping all of this a secret - at least from me.

We were nearing the benediction of our 3rd ever Spirit Fest celebration on the front lawn of Benson Memorial UMC when the Staff-Parish Relations Chair (Vicki) stepped up front to borrow the microphone. She said she had an important announcement to make. As her announcement unfolded various message-partners stepped up front, bearing gifts from afar. Well, maybe that's a bit too dramatic. There are places in NC where "gifts from afar" could just be the local volunteer firemen handing out tootsie rolls for a small donation in front of the Food Lion. Anyway, I digress.
The announcement culminated when my wife and daughters were asked to come up front and stand next to me. Then from the side wings another person came forward carrying a large piece of foam core (rectangular) with words printed across the face. That's when I discovered we were expecting for the first time. There's nothing like being surprised in front of 300+ friends who are hanging on your every word. There in front of God and everyone, beneath the shade of a massive water oak as old as Teddy Roosevelt, the news was delivered. I took a deep breath, and then I melted like a snow cone in an Arizona parking lot in July. I reverted to my M.O. and blubbered and sniffled in true Strother fashion.

So on Tuesday I brought our new arrival home. Mom is doing fine, and adjusting to living with a husband who now has another marvelous distraction, (as if I didn't already have enough). For 23 years humans of the female variety have ruled the roost in the Strother cave. Year after year, birth after birth, the doctors have always said the same thing in the delivery room: "Its a girl!" But Tuesday all that changed when I brought Taylor home for the first time. Now - finally - I have a sympathizer. Perhaps, just maybe the tide is about to turn.

So last night I found myself up late at night - singing softly to a new arrival while other members of the family rested quietly in their second-floor beds. I didn't mind this at all. Maybe it was the adrenalin of going through this unexpected parenthood for a fourth time. Or perhaps I was enjoying the time alone with our new bundle of joy. Eventually I tucked Taylor in and made my way upstairs to join the rest of my slumbering familia. Life is good..... Oh, for those who are interested....take a look at our new symphonic miracle.......Taylor Strother......

Still In ONE Peace,

Jon (the methodist)


2 comments:

Pastor Ed said...

Congratulations, Jon. Can't wait to hear the little fellow now in your tender care.

Ed

Unknown said...

That sure is a pretty Taylor! I wanna hear it! I've been jamming with some great local musicians, you gotta come be with us sometime-
With you in Him,
Charles