Thursday, August 27, 2009

An Altitude Adjustment


So Wednesday we actually were given the gift of some free time. I've been blessed this week to join other recently appointed district superintendents from across the United States in a time of connecting and training. And one of our family resides outside the continental states - Bro James from Uganda on the continent of Africa.

But what I have found is that this has also been a time of inspiration - every bit as much as it has been equipping. Dr. Marcia McPhee has been our worship designer/leader each morning and that has been a treat too! To raise my voice in praise of the One God each morning with new-found-friends at the table is a gift as well. New friends from places like Fargo and Albuquerque, Fort Smith, Battle Creek , Beaumont and Thomasville.

Well, as I noted earlier - Wednesday afternoon was "free time"; nothing to learn, no schedule to keep - no "best practices" to try and absorb. So I took myself away from Junaluska for a few hours. The district Optima (that's actually my Kia four-door) aided part of my journey. On the way there was a serendipitous stop at a less-than-appealing convenience store where a conversation ensued with the elderly owner He became my spiritual director for the afternoon as he deployed me to the nearby Parkway, and to a place on the Parkway in particular: Water Rock Knob.

Armed only with my Diet Sundrop and an adventurous spirit, I returned to the car and soon found myself maneuvering the curves of the Blue Ridge. There were tempting vistas just outside the passenger side window, but the desire to live kept my white-knuckled hands firmly attached to the steering wheel. Soon I arrived at the destination described earlier by my spiritual director;a place he told me would reveal God's handiwork. The sign in the parking area noted the elevation at that point was a mere 6200 feet above sea level. Another sign noted my intended destination as being only a half-mile more........on foot! Water Rock Knob it was named.

So I huffed and I puffed, but by the time I arrived there were no houses to blow down. There were flowering plants and the almost deafening buzzing of bees - everywhere. Now I know where Raleigh's bee population has gone. They must be Methodist bees because they're all in the mountains in the summer! And then the place promised became the place experienced. As they say the climb was worth the agony.

Somewhere above 6200 ft the air was a bit more thin, or else I'm getting older. But from my vista I could see Maggie Valley and Cataloochee(sp) in the background. There, as promised I got a bird's-eye-view of God's handiwork. And there with God's brush strokes a parable of sorts unfolded for the plebe DS........The expanse of green living trees is evident - everywhere, but of course my eye was drawn to the one dead tree, which dominated the landscape from my perch at the time. As a forest ranger taught me years ago, when trees stop producing rings - they die. And yet, the faithful God - all the while - is busy multiplying a sea of green remnant. Lesson taken, Lord! Old Saint Francis was right. "It is in dieing that we are born to eternal life! Up and over and out.....

Jon(the Methodist)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jon the Methodist,

It's Esau the red and hairy. How are you? Long time no see.

Congrats on your appointment. God's light continues to shine through you.

God bless you in your new role.

His Peace!
-eddie owens