Monday, February 9, 2009

A Cross-less Faith?

Someone has said that Western Christians can often be a mile wide and an inch deep. Like all such statements there is a measure of truth in there somewhere. I'm reminded of theolgian H. Richard Niebuhr's now famous assessment of Christian theology, with a uniquely American flavor ( a generality - but prophetic nonetheless). It goes something like this:

"A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministration of a Christ without a cross."

My old professor Will Willimon chimes in with Niebuhr in a 21st century prophetic word of his own as he notes a recent encounter with one of America's most popular"TV preachers" . The Christian bookstores aren't the only ones spreading his blessings gospel" nonsense. Even Borders and Barnes & Noble (to name a few) seem content to sell his wares. Bishop Willimon comments.

"I just heard the sermon of a TV preacher (who preaches each Sunday to more people than I preach to in a year). Though his sermon was charmingly delivered, his message was one of autosalvation - you are a good person who, with the right principles in your head (which I will tell you), by the application of the right technique (which I have discovered and will now graciously give you) will be able to save yourself by yourself."

Bishop Willimon's tongue-in-cheek satire is painfully to the point. Many of us prefer a cross-less version of following Jesus. Years ago, while visiting a church member who lived in a nursing home, I found myself in a theological discussion with one of the home's employees. This African-American lady offered me a healthy dose of
Christology 101, 201, and 301 when she said something like, "You know preacher....there's a lot of folks go roun' talkin about the crown they're gonna be wearin' one day, but they ain't willin' to take up their cross in the here and now! You can't wear that crown unless you're willin' to take up His cross."

In Freedom of Simplicity, Richard Foster says the same thing another way. "Mother Teresa of Calcutta said, "Pray for me that I may not loosen my grip on the hands of Jesus even under the guise of ministering to the poor." That is our first task, to grip the hands of Jesus with such tenacity that we are obliged to follow his lead, to seek first his Kingdom. The next step is so simple I am almost embarrassed to mention it, and yet it is so important I must. Begin now to obey him in every way you can."

I meditate on this word, but sooner or later meditation is empty if it stops short of obedience....

Still In ONE Peace,
Jon(the methodist)











No comments: